Camp Kirk helps children and youth with learning disabilities, Autism, attention deficit disorders and other types of exceptionalities.
Camp Kirk gives these children a safe place where they can develop confidence and adaptability while trying new things and taking risks. The camp experience fosters resilience by providing our campers with mentorship, social support and an environment focused on their strengths. In our warm nurturing environment, among others struggling with similar issues, our campers gain a sense of belonging and positive self-image.
With the right supports any individual with Autism, learning disabilites, attention deficit disorders and other excptionalities can thrive. Without support children with exceptionalities face some frightening statistics:
- 35% of teens with ADHD eventually drop out of school
- Of special needs students who report bullying, the majority of those who are victimized are students diagnosed with mild Autism Spectrum Disorder and students with ADHD.
- Anxiety disorders occur in 50 percent of adults with ADHD.
- The unemployment rate for individuals with ASD is over 80%
- 40% of people with learning disabilities are estimated to struggle with problems such as anxiety, depression, or low self-esteem.
- 75% of kids with learning disabilities are estimated to have difficulties with social relationships
CAMP KIRK 2018 Funding Priorities
- Subsidize fees of campers, so that no child is left behind because of financial means. Average subsidy per child: $2,100
- Rental of 2 vehicles for the summer to transport campers and equipment for canoe trips and other outdoor adventures: $7,500
Since its inception in 1993, Camp Kirk has generated operational funds through camper fees, fundraising events, private and corporate donations.
All of our fundraising is done in house by our administrative team or by groups of volunteers and by members of our Board of Directors.
To keep the camp accessible to as many children as possible, we have kept our camper fees low while maintaining fiscal responsibility.
We need more champions to help us achieve and hopefully exceed these goals. Please consider donating today.
Every year, since 1992, we have held a fall fundraising event for the benefit of Camp Kirk. Over the years, it has become our most significant source of funding, thanks to the financial contributions made by many corporations and individuals.